If you own home and are thinking about doing any roofing work instead of hiring a Chester Roofing company the first thing you will want to do invest some time in your safety. The foremost reason for job-related deaths each year is attributed to ladder falls and injuries, which is why at RBM Roofing, a top tier roofer in New Jersey, suggests following these ladder safety tips to help you stay safe. safety
Examine Your Ladders
Before stepping foot onto a ladder, a Chester roof repair pro will always check it thoroughly. If a ladder is damaged then it greatly increases the risk to fall and get injured. A few things to look for are:
- Study all the labels and cautions that the manufacturer has provided on the ladder
- Watch out for any loose or missing parts such as screws, bolts, rivets, etc.
- Stay away from a ladder that is all rusted out or corroded
- Are there any cracks in the metal or fiberglass, sharp edges, or visible damage?
- If it is equipped with locking mechanisms, do they still work?
Ladder Placement and Use
Once a ladder had passed all of the safety considerations, Chester Roofing Contractors suggest that it is next set up carefully. To achieve this it must be:
- Placed on a stable, even surface
- Do not ever put a ladder on top of an object to increase your reaching distance. such as chairs or the back of your pickup truck
- A vertical extension ladder should be leaning up at an angle of 75 degrees for maximum stability
- The ladder should stretch about 3 feet or more past the level you are climbing up to.
- Ensure that all of the locking mechanisms are secured (if applicable)
Ladders are a very useful and important piece of equipment, so its condition and the way it is used should not be overlooked. This is why there are regulations in place by OSHA that a Chester roofer must follow. Being informed about the dangers that are involved when working on a ladder and understanding how to prohibit injury is of the utmost importance. For more information about ladder safety, check out the OSHA page.
CALL RBM ROOFING TODAY AT (908) 879-1804